Day 82 Fryeburg to Brunswick, ME 74 miles

posted in: The ride | 0

Today was a long mileage day weaving around Highlandland, Long and Pleasant Lake. We stopped early morning in Bridgton and headed into their library to update the website and check the forecast for the next couple days. We started the day early, before 7am, but when we left the library it was already noon and we still had over 60 miles to make it to Brunkswick. I had also eaten all of the delicious tomatoes and granola bars Jessica and Chris gave us the night before. Thanks for the treats! Have I mentioned I am hungry all the time? The hills were ridiculously steep and at one point the gradient seemed to be at least 15%. One of these side streets, right outside Danville had us cross the railroad tracks and then start one of the steepest, shortest climbs of the trip. We ran into the Germans, the ones we had met back in Idaho and were so happy to see that they had made it to Maine! They were going to take their time getting to Bar Harbor though. They didn’t want to arrive on the weekend. We wished them well and IMG_0204said goodbye!

We made it to Brunswick and pulled into Aunt Peg and Uncle Stan’s driveway a little before 6pm. They both came out to greet us and gave us the warmest welcome!  They hurried us into the showers, started a load of our laundry and then drove us to the coast for the Best Lobster around that can only be found at Ericas! We put in our order of three lobsters, fries, coleslaw and seafood chowder and grabbed a picnic table. We opened up some beer and wine and feasted as the sun set. Matt and I have only had lobster a few times, so Uncle Stan was gracious enough to walk us through step by step instructions of how to get the most meat out. Step #1: Put on your bib!!!  It was a great night on the Atlantic ocean. As the night wore on, Matt and I were not much for words, as the duration and mileage of the day started to kick in, but as always Uncle Stan and Aunt Peg were so thoughtful to treat us to such a feast. We crawled into bed around 10pm and fell asleep to the wonderful familiar sound of family.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *